1/4 Street redesign
Civic Street has the potential to be a welcoming and vibrant public space. Currently the street and pavement design present many challenges – please let us know any other issues you would like to highlight, and ideas for interventions you would like to see:
Current Issues Highlighted
- Pavement along east edge is not wide enough for wheelchair users, with multiple obstacles (lamps, parking meters, changes in level).
- There is no pavement along west edge
- Parking spaces along west edge are not compliant, with no provision of Accessible Parking
- No ramp access to Civic House for those who require step-free access to use the facilities.
- Re-organise parking provision - introduce accessible parking spaces, dedicated space for service vehicles, provide EV charging point.
- Reduce vehicle access to southern end of street - prioritising pedestrian access and allowing social activity on the street
- Create a clear route for pedestrians and cyclists to travel north / south along Civic Street.
- Create ramp access to Civic House with a terrace for outdoor seating
- Introduction of greenery, planting, improved way-marking and signage.
- Creation of cycle parking and charging points for visitors and passersby